D-R-Aime?

... and other observations
What is DRAime? It's a blog that talks about D, R and ...M! I know what the D stands for, I know what the R stands for, but I have yet to understand what the M is for.
Management? Mismanagement? Misery? Mystery? All bets are on!
(For those who don't know, Aime, in french, is pronounced M and means to like - which gives us DRM)

Thursday, October 20, 2005

What would happen if encryption was involved...

I wonder if the DMCA could be used to prevent the EFF from researching this topic?

What I find interesting with this topic is the simple solution Xerox implemented. Obviously, it's easy for me to say this now that they have solved the problem, but a rectangular grid with no obfuscation sounds like an easy thing to crack. The next release will certainly try to encrypt the data, and we know where that typically leads to.

Even if Xerox doesn't give away the relationship between the serial number and the person who bought the machine, you can now establish a relationship between various printed documents. It's scary to know that your color printer is doing that on your behalf, with no say whatsoever.

I guess you should always print with a yellow background...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home