D-R-Aime?

... and other observations
What is DRAime? It's a blog that talks about D, R and ...M! I know what the D stands for, I know what the R stands for, but I have yet to understand what the M is for.
Management? Mismanagement? Misery? Mystery? All bets are on!
(For those who don't know, Aime, in french, is pronounced M and means to like - which gives us DRM)

Sunday, November 13, 2005

Is this really going to work?

I wonder how far this lawsuit will go...

Having worked in large (software) companies, I am always sensitive about these kind of class action lawsuits. It never seems like any settlement is ever really good for the plaintiff. For example, the latest Netflix settlement is good, but not quite good. In my case, they would offer me a free month of service since I cancelled a long time ago. But, anybody can get a 2 week trial, so we would be talking of 2 extra weeks here, not 4.

And the risk? If you don't cancel at the end of the 4 weeks, you now have to pay for the service. How different is this from the "free for 6 months!" magazine offers? Or the "free credit report"?

Anyways, to go back to the "rootkit" lawsuit, I wonder if the outcome will just be more money for the lawyers suing or if it will be a real change in the approach media companies take to protect their content. There has to be a better solution than a "rootkit", right?

1 Comments:

  • At 11/14/2005 12:33 PM, Blogger Becky said…

    I think the free month is the only way Netflix can do it, without sending out millions of tiny checks.

    Thanks for the linkage :).

     

Post a Comment

<< Home